Although OSHA does not cite employees for violations of their responsibilities, each employee "shall comply with all occupational safety and health standards and all rules, regulations, and orders issued under the 'Act' that is applicable". An employee should do the following:
- Read the OSHA Poster at the jobsite.
- Comply with all applicable OSHA standards.
- Follow all lawful employer safety and health rules and regulations, and wear or use prescribed protective equipment while working.
- Report hazardous conditions to the supervisor
- Report any job-related injury or illness to the employer, and seek treatment promptly.
- Exercise rights under the 'Act' in a responsible manner, specifically in states regulated by Federal OSHA.